Education Hour from 9 – 9:50 am.
Our Fall Sunday Adult Study is The Theology of Communication and Politics. In-person or Zoom: for Zoom, use the Sunday Morning Bible Study link from the Zoom page. Materials for all Adult Bible Studies may be downloaded by clicking here. We continue our discussion of democracy and the political this week.
Youth and Kids Sunday School, except for toddlers, is meeting in-person. If you cannot make it but want materials, email Krista Hunt at email@example.com.
Worship Options for Sunday at 10:15 am.
Communion is offered 3 ways by St Peter at this time.
- In-person, Sunday morning.
- By appointment at church or at home. Contact Pastor Borger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zoom Communion, approximately once a month. Contact Pastor Clark at email@example.com.
Papers by Pastor Clark published to Concordia Theology
At the Fall 2019 Theological Symposium at Concordia Seminary – St. Louis, PC offered a sectional on “devotion” that has now become two papers published on Concordia Theology. Both are linked below if you want to see them. Those who were in last year’s bible study on Christ, Liturgy, and Culture will recognize some of the themes explored there in the papers; in fact, St. Peter and that bible study get a shout-out in footnote 43 of the first paper.
Summary of each: The first paper seeks a basic definition of devotion in Scripture. It discovers that in fact, devotion is surprisingly pivotal to the whole of Christian life: it is, precisely, a form and orientation that is to shape the whole of human life and action as these in turn shape the concrete world in which we live. The paper then explores how word, sacrament, and liturgy shape that devotion in us. The second paper begins by addressing a question raised by the first: if devotion is thus a form and orientation that should encompass the whole of human life, how does it come to shape the key features of human life, including body, mind, and heart (or spirit)? As part of this focus, the paper also considers contested questions on the relation of: mind to heart and body, propositional statements to imagination, and doctrine to life and liturgy. Have fun exploring either, but the first is less academic and more directly “practical.” 🙂
WORSHIP FOLDER – FOLDING HELP NEEDED
Worship Folder folding teams of 2 people each are needed to fold and staple Worship Folders once a month. The Worship Folders are ready to fold on Friday mornings by 10 am (and are often ready on Thursday Afternoons).
Responsibilities: At least one person on each team must be willing to: (1) Use a church key to enter the building and (2) Learn to operate the Alarm. Folding and stapling training will be provided.
Contact: If you used to do this and would like to continue and/or if this is area of service you are interested in please contact Jenna Trethewey at the church. firstname.lastname@example.org
DIRECTORY NOVEMBER 2020 EDITION AVAILABLE HERE UNDER MEMBERS LOGIN.
SPY + BRAILLE!
One Saturday a month, SPY is going to build braille Bibles. The next opportunity is Saturday, November 7 from 10-NOON. Signup Genius can be found HERE.
CHEESEBALL VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
We will need cheese mixers on Nov. 10 and also weighers and wrappers on Nov. 12. All volunteers will need to wear masks and gloves the entire time. Any questions please contact Paula at 574-850-1681 or Jill at 574-286-4371.
MAC Food Pantry
We totaled 463# this week. They’d appreciate jelly, jello, & Ramen noodles. Thanks!
Polish Dinner tickets!
We are all well aware how troubling this pandemic has been on Resurrection Lutheran Academy. Well, now we have an opportunity to help them out as well as helping your own family! The RLA Polish Dinner is back and a BETTER VALUE than ever! This year’s dinner is being provided by The Skillet Restaurant in South Bend via a $25.00 Gift Card which will feed a family of four and can be used anytime in the next six months (a great stocking stuffer or gift for someone special) for a pre-order drive-by/pickup. The fixings include broasted chicken, mashed potatoes, noodles, green beans, rolls, and cookies. We have extended the sale through THIS SUNDAY, November 8th. Tickets are available either after services or by contacting Jenna who will contact a member of the RLA Fundraising Committee to arrange having your tickets delivered to you. If we can sell all the tickets given us, we will surpass last year’s totals. We hope you can take advantage of this tremendous offer while helping RLA at the same time. If you have any questions, please contact Mike Fonck at email@example.com.
A Detailed Reference Guide and Quick Reference Guide are available on the blog at the following link: https://splcm.org/zoom/. Leaders, if you need another copy of the leader guide, please email PC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RLA – VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- We need an office volunteer who can work M, W or F, on a fairly regular basis. Morning or afternoon would be great. This person will answers phone, hand out band-aids and those sorts of easy (fairly unskilled) tasks can be handled to free up our admin director to take on some projects without regular interruptions. J Since this person is there during the day, they would have to go through the background check.
- We also could use folks to help after the school day (3:45-5:00) to help sanitize classrooms. This is a huge burden for our teachers and any help we could give would be great. Kids are gone, so no background check is necessary to help with this. We are going to be setting up a sign-up genius for this.
- Finally, we could use a family or some folks to help on Friday, Oct. 30 with a Fall Festival: decorate a table and share treats with kids. Decorating will be from 1:30-2:00 and the fall festival will be from 2:00-3:00. This is in place of trunk or treat and is just for the RLA kids.
RLA Yard Signs for Sale!
Support our school by purchasing a RLA yard sign for just $12. We do have some on hand here at the church. See Brian Ruch to purchase.
THIS MONTH’S RLA PRAYERS
- God’s continued provision for the safety and health of staff, students and their families.
- For the two new students from India for their adjusting to life in the US as well as protection over the children as they navigate a new school and a new life here.
Ministry Coordinator’s Regular Office Hours: Tuesday – Thursday 9 am – 2 pm. However, her schedule will be more of a “flex schedule” through, at least, the end of the year due to some unforeseen circumstances. Prayers for her and her family are appreciated. Thank you for your patience during such a weird, crazy time in our lives.
Subscribe to WordPress Announcements, Prayers & more Automatically!
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4! See the photos below for reference!
- First go to stpetermishawaka.wordpress.com and enter your email address in the blank field above the SUBSCRIBE button & click SUBSCRIBE. (Do not *Create an Account.)
- Log into your email, open the email from stpetermishawaka.wordpress.com and CONFIRM FOLLOW.
- You will then be automatically redirected to the “Subscription Management” page. This is where you can change the Delivery Frequency. Click SAVE CHANGES. (You may close the page now.)
- You will then get a confirmation email for your subscription.
You will now automatically get an email informing you of anything we add to the blog when we add it. Still feel free to visit the blog at any time, tho. Any issues, contact Jenna at email@example.com.